Five big changes I have (unexpectedly) gained in my campus life.

About a month ago, one of the hot topics being discussed among the society would be the ending speech given by the CEO of Nokia during the press conference for the announcement of the acquisition of Microsoft on Nokia.

Some of my friends had shared this article on Facebook. They also cited some of the words as a lesson to themselves as well to the friends on Facebook. I read about the article too. To me, the most remarkable one would be ' 'Those who refuse to learn and improve, will definitely one day become redundant and not relevant to the industry.' Short and simple, it means no changes in life doesn't promise a sustainable tomorrow.

Believe me, your life keep changing all the time, said by one of my lecturers during a lecture class recently.

Here, I don't promise whether there're definitely good changes or not. But one thing I'm firmly guarantee is, if the same mistakes happen to you, you would realize that what the elders had lectured u once are proved to be absolutely right, especially if you have been through the campus life, like me.

Let's straight to point now.

#1 I'm now proactive in handling my daily livings.

Most of the university students have the opportunity to leave hometown for the studies. This simply means they ought to prepare everything from A to Z by themselves. For instance, handling your own livings. House chores and daily meals are now your own duty. Here, it's no longer done by your mum or helper. Nevertheless, no one would keep nagging u to clean up your messy room. If you keep behaving like how you do at home, aha, there you go, staying at a dirty and messy room.
Good thing is, no matter what, you know some basics of handling your own livings after this hostel life of yours.

Taking my own example, even though I know how but I don't do the cleaning at my home or maybe I do it once it a blue moon whenever I have the mood for it or after being annoyed from mum's nagging either. One more thing, I could easily forget about laundry till I see a mole of clothes of mine is at the laundry bucket.
Staying in hostel is indeed a way to discipline myself. Now, I sweep the floor at least twice a week and do laundry once every 2-3 days, depending on the amount of clothes.
Moreover, I would ensure that my desk is always kept tidy and neat, partly because of peer pressure, I suppose. I would be embarrassed to let my friends and even roommate to see the poor living style of mine.


#2 I'm more responsible in preparing meal.

Here, you are neither being woken up with your parents or siblings asking you to get up for lunch or dinner nor your friends. You want eat then go ahead, you don't want then it's simply none of anyone's business. As the location of my campus as well as hostel are located under the rural area, the scarce source and offerings has been greatly impacting on students' livings, mainly food. Book stores and photocopy shops are available in great number that provide convenience to students but not food stall. Come on, it's hard to get people to operate a food stall that aiming student in this rural area! Hence, buying ingredients at supermarket at the nearest town is an alternative to ensure your meal problem is fixed, only if you want to cook for the sake of eating healthier. For your information, it is nearly 20 minutes of journey to the nearest town by shuttled bus.

Cooking is fun but it is somehow prolonged after including dishes washing . I don't cook often in hostel, but whenever I do, I would make sure I eat healthy/eat clean. My top favourite food prepared in hostel is clear soup rice noodles(or glass noodle either) with vegetables. I love eating vegetables so normally I buy greens and tomatoes, the soup base are from seasoning cube to have it a mild aroma. Another easier meal to prepared is congee that paired up with either canned lettuce or pork floss. Apart from take-away food at cafeteria, milo with crackers, oatmeal, bun/bread are also my usual meals over here. To be honest, I live to eat but I eat to survive in hostel. I'm not picky in having my meals here anyway.


#3 I start learning to manage my emotion.

I'm a sentimental person and sometimes be emotional when it comes to things that are harmful or unlogical to me. I often throw tantrum at home, but not at outside anymore. I can just burst into tears in any corners of my house which is visible by my family members. You are going to be rejected or boycotted by people if you continue to behave this way in campus life. Course mates are just course mates or perhaps, friends, in case of going further. They have no obligation see you like that. So I'd got some lectures that I ought to always put on smile on my face whenever I'm out from my room. No matter how bad is my feeling, I must hide it deep down inside and pretend to be everything is alright. Perhaps this is the norm of the society, and university is commonly interpreted as a pre-society that running like a modified working society out there.

I cry whenever I feel very bad. But I do it in my room whenever my roommate is away or hide myself by a pillow to release the tension. I start to expect less from people while doing my best on everything because disappointment and sorrow are mostly derived from high expectation, I would say.  Good thing is, I realize that keeping myself calm is the key to stablelize my emotion, I would have myself a short moment of deep breath and hold on my tears if I feel like shedding tears (yeah, right before the water tap at my eyes are out of control). The same thing applied when it comes to anger and dissatisfaction. To conclude, to have a high degree of emotional intelligence(EI) or emotional quotient(EQ) is absolutely an essential part for one.


#4 I'm more adaptive to do things solo

Before stepping into campus life, I'd always like to get things done with companion whenever it's possible. I love laughter and people to be surrounded. I'm grateful to have it but campus life is also a best time for me to grow up realizing that it's definitely not a permanent situation. Everyone is unique and runs different kind of lifestyle. Staying at hostel simply means everyone has their own schedule to follow and their own stuff to do, no one is obliged to follow your plan all the time. I've always telling myself that I do things for my own good (and of course, for the sake of survival), hence I'd stepped out a big forward to be solo sometimes. Not to mention, I feel that being solo occasionally is not a bad option at all! At least, you would have peace moment for yourself, follow your heart to do and you would feel awesomely good. For example, buying meals at cafeteria and taking bus alone for a meeting. It's a sign of being big girl, I know right.


#5 I'm more appreciative for everything.

To be frank, I look somethings for granted and always thought they should be in the way that I think. This concept is totally vanished after I've involved myself into tertiary studies. Like I mention previously, you are the only one to be responsible for your own. I get into homesick after the few months to stay away from hometown and that initiated my great appreciation towards family. I start to love them more. Moreover, I would keep looking for opportunity to have family times whenever I back to home. We start to have video calls lately but it's never too late to give concern to each other. Besides, I tend to be grateful over the contribution of my coursemates and friends in terms of assistance and giving some times to me. Being appreciative is a token of happiness that leads me towards a positive livings.


This is my third year or sixth semester spending in campus life, I'm thankful that I grew up quite good mentally in these years. I wonder how the real working society would be yet I'm afraid of it at the same time, but involving in campus life has, at least, prepared me at little bit to fit into the working society in near future. In short, campus life is indeed an eye-opener and a great tutor to transform me into a better one.

25 comments

  1. You will learn more and become more independent

    ReplyDelete
  2. Leaving home certainly make people grow and appreciate home too. All the best in your study and life too. You will miss these moments once you start working, so enjoy it.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Absolutely agreed. I start missing and appreciate my each day of my campus life now, going to intersnhip soon.

      Delete
  3. You have definitely grown...just remember to keep growing and exploring new things...its an amazing achievement in your life dear...

    p.s: I have friends who have not changed since highschool...

    ReplyDelete
  4. Campus life is the best life! I wouldnt change anything about it! It teaches you so much. Heck, you might even find some good friends there

    ReplyDelete
  5. keep it up and enjoy your youth :) always no regret when you move to next life!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Thanks for sharing your personal thoughts. Stay strong and it looks as if you are doing a good job!

    ReplyDelete
  7. Great to learn how much you have grown as a person outside of academics. Cherish the opportunity as not everyone has the chance like yours.

    ReplyDelete
  8. It's great to hear that you're so positive about campus life!

    ReplyDelete
  9. Good to know you are learning a lot of great new stuff there... keep it up!!

    ReplyDelete
  10. it always takes a change in life for us to realize our maximum potential. :) good for you!

    ReplyDelete
  11. I can totally feel that because I stay at KL for about 6 years+. My hometown is at Ipoh. It's great to become independent.

    ReplyDelete
  12. In life here is so many things that we can learn, happy that you learn a lot of things during this progress! Hope you can continue to learn and be a strong girl in life =D

    ReplyDelete
  13. Yes, uni life does change an individual. Enjoy your uni life. And when you grow more, you realise this world is more complicated than you think.. Sad case. =(

    ReplyDelete
  14. keep up the great work. i think that's the purpose of life, to grow and to be better of ourselves everyday.

    ReplyDelete
  15. wow...but me is change my life when i start work...anyway, just be ourselves!!and stay happy..

    ReplyDelete
  16. Managing own emotions is indeed important! That's the way we learn to tolerate and communicate with others. I am trying to manage my emotions as well, learning to be solo in managing all kind of stuffs.

    ReplyDelete
  17. Love to read this as it reminds me of my campus life. Away from the family and have to be independent. I learn how to manage my finance, transportation and also plan my meals plus lots of things in life besides study.

    ReplyDelete
  18. Love to read your story, such a motivation post :)

    ReplyDelete
  19. I know your feelings too. I become more independent after having a campus life which is far from KL .

    ReplyDelete
  20. Good going! I totally agree with you that campus life does give life lessons too.

    ReplyDelete
  21. living in campus will definitely force us to become independent as no more parents to take care of our every need. are you doing full time study?

    ReplyDelete
  22. we learn many things as we go, better to embrace the changes than to go against it! All the best in your studies!

    ReplyDelete
  23. I started being independent when I started my secondary school, at age 13, I'm living at hostel and far away from my family, at first I'm crying a lot. But then, I'm meeting with a friends and started doing everything by myself including cleaning room and laundry :)

    ReplyDelete